Last year I took PCB photos of all Game Boy games I own, but I never managed to categorize or publish the photos I'm not going to analyze all of these in detail, so I'm just going to leave the photos and basic information here for those who are interested in such things.
The titles are based on the current No-Intro Game Boy and Game Boy Color databases, and there might be slight differences compared to more commonly seen names (e.g. Robot Poncots vs. Robot Ponkottsu).
There's a lot of games here, but here are some especially interesting ones:
- Tamagotchi 3 is unique and has several custom chips (TAMA5, TAMA6, TAMA7)
- The Game Boy Camera is unique
- Mortal Kombat & Mortal Kombat II collection uses a normal MBC1, but it is wired differently! Emulators that blindly trust the cartridge header (which says MBC1) fail to emulate the game properly, and immediately take the player back to the game selection screen after a game is selected
- Wario Land II has both GB and GBC releases
- Dragon Quest Monsters has the largest ROM of all MBC1 games
- Densha de Go! 2 has the largest ROM of all Game Boy games. The PCB actually has two separate 32Mb roms, which makes 64Mb in total
- Tetris uses a glob top chip instead of more typical packaging
- Japanese Pokemon Crystal uses MBC30, which seems to be a special variant of MBC3
- Net de Get uses MBC6, and has a flash chip for downloadable minigames
Update 2018-02-25: Please check out the Game Boy Hardware Database for photos and data of a huge amount of cartridges